If you're dieting down for a competition, you're probably eating a lot of tilapia. After 12 weeks of the same thing, a lot of competitors swear off tilapia indefinitely. That was totally me! I ate tilapia almost every day for three solid months. Now that I'm prepping for a show again, I've had to bring it back into my diet.
This time, I decided to add more flavorful ingredients to my tilapia, so I created these recipes. They're clean, creative, and they taste great. They might seem too yummy to be part of a clean diet, but they'll help you take face your contest prep challenges head-on!
My favorite dish to order at Mexican restaurants is fish tacos. I love the combination of flaky white fish, crunchy red cabbage, creamy avocado, and bright flavors from the lime and cilantro. But let's face it: when you have serious fitness goals, you probably aren't frequenting Mexican restaurants. The chips and salsa alone do me in! I was determined to come up with my own healthy version of fish tacos. This recipe is sure to make you forget you're dieting!
- Set oven to 375 degrees, wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven while cooking tilapia.
- Heat coconut oil in medium pan over medium heat.
- Season tilapia filets evenly with all spices.
- Place filets in pan and cook 3-4 minutes each side, or until cooked thoroughly.
- Once tilapia is fully cooked, assemble tacos. Place one tilapia filet in each corn tortilla with 1/4 sliced avocado, red cabbage, and garnish with cilantro and lime.
Add 1 tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt for a great sour cream alternative!