From 1 reviews
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yield: about 5-1/2 cups
- Prep 40 mins
- Cook 1 hr to 1 hr
Wild rice and lake whitefish bring an outdoorsy feeling to this main-dish soup. Serve for dinner with crusty bread.
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen skinless whitefish fillets*
- 1/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup peeled, cubed potato
- 3 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and ground white pepper
- Finely sliced green onion
- Lemon wedges
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry. Cut whitefish into 1-inch pieces. Cover; refrigerate until needed.
- Rinse wild rice, lifting the rice with your fingers to clean thoroughly; drain. In a small saucepan, bring water to boiling. Stir in wild rice; reduce heat. Cover, simmer, for 40 minutes or until rice is tender (do not stir). If needed, drain off the liquid; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the celery, onion, and garlic in hot butter over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until just tender, but not brown. Stir in the vegetable broth or water, potato, cream sherry, lemon juice, dried thyme, if using, and Old Bay seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Stir in whitefish, cooked wild rice and bacon. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Stir in whipping cream or half-and-half, fresh thyme, if using, basil, and parsley; heat through (do not boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with some green onions and a lemon wedge. Makes 6 servings (about 5-1/2 cups).
Fantastic Fish Soup
Making Caldo de Pescado (Mexican Fish Soup)
Sweetcorn & Potato Soup How to cook great Chowder very ...