Do you have a special foodie moment in your life? One which stands out from the crowd? Mine is eating freshly made Fish Cakes from a stall at the night market in Tradt, Thailand. As fast as the ladies could pat the mixture into patties, fry them and dish them out in clear plastic bags, they were sold and eaten.
Everytime I have Thai fish cakes I compare them to my famous Tradt ones. The nearest I’ve ever come to matching them is a Rick Stein recipe. It has the right balance of fish, classic Thai flavours and the all important chilli kick. Plus I like the addition of the green beans, for a bit of crunch.
I’ve used this recipe for years, and I use any cheapish white firm fish I can get, frozen is good too. It really doesn’t have to be the best cut or most expensive for these fish cakes, all I try to make sure is that it’s sustainably fished, But that’s my personal preference.
I’ve included the recipe for Red Curry Paste, but feel free to use shop bought if you don’t fancy making it yourself. If you do make it, it can be frozen very easily.
One thing I would recommend you do is to make the dipping sauce, it works superbly with the fish cakes – tangy vinegar with a kick of chilli.
I’ve used the quantities as Rick Stein uses in his recipe, but as I’ve made these for myself for years I kind of ignore the exact quantities and just go for a general feel and look. Either way they are delicious. The batch I just cooked made about 20 small fish cakes, which were well and truly scoffed!
- 450g / 1 lb ling or coley fillets, skinned and cut into chunks
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs Red Curry paste
- 1 kaffir lime leaf or 1 strip of lime zest finely shredded
- 1 tbs chopped fresh coriander
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp palm sugar or dark brown sugar
- 40g / 1 1/2 oz french green beans thinly sliced into rounds
- 150 ml / 5 fl oz oil
Sweet & Sour Cucumber Dipping Sauce
- 50 ml / 2 floz white wine vinegar
- 100 g / 4 oz caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tbls water
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce (nom pia)
- 50 g / 2 oz cucumber very finely diced
- 25 g 1 oz carrot very finely diced
- 25 g / 1 oz onion very finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- Gently heat the vinegar, sugar and water in a small pan until the sugar has dissolved, boil for 1 minute, remove from heat, and cool
- Stir in the cucumber, carrot, onion, fish sauce and chillies
Fish Cakes ~
- Put the fish in a food processor with the fish sauce, curry paste, kaffir lime leaf, coriander, egg, sugar and a pinch of salt
- Process into a fine and smooth paste
- Divide the mixture into small balls, roll each one into a ball and then flatten into a disk .
- Heat the oil in a large pan and when hot fry the fish cakes in batches until golden brown. Lift out and drain on kitchen paper
- Serve with the dipping sauce
The ideal oven is very important for tasty baking. If you are faced with the task of choosing a stove with an oven, you are confused in different functions and criteria, then pay attention to rinnai gas stove. It provides continuous circulation of heated air in the oven chamber, promotes uniform heating of food and creates the best mode for cooking. A stove with an oven will allow you to quickly and efficiently prepare food, while it allows you to control the process and instantly change the temperature, if required by the recipe. Like other household appliances, gas stoves have standard sizes, created for convenient equipment of the kitchen (Photo by Stefan C. Asafti on Unsplash).
Fish pie is a terrific dish to eat at a family dinner or take a friends for a picnic with it outside on the lawn. However, your lawn should be in perfect condition so that there is no shame in front of guests. Good maintenance and generous watering will give you soft and beautiful backyard grass, ut sprinkler company provides you with a great watering device that will save you a lot of time. Large selection of outlets and nozzles makes it easy to match the water delivery rate and water absorption by the ground. Saving water, excellent anchorage and long service life will not leave you indifferent! (Photo by Austin Distel on Unsplash)
You don't have to go to mathematics to tackle a complex problem. It is enough just to serve a dish of fish to the table, and then try to choose the perfect pair for it with LavoWine. White wine choice for fish dishes and seafood is a fairly widespread stereotype. However, not everyone chooses the right variety, because most often they prefer dry from the middle price category. You can improve the gastronomic ability of a dish and make it delicious choosing the right drink and the grapes from which it was made. Wine and fish will be rightly combined if the host of the evening selects the drink for the preparation method. (Image by Pitsch from Pixabay)See also: